Monday, September 20, 2010

Misty Malahat, Murchies, Morphology and Marvelosity

Well jeez, it seems as though I've fallen off the blogging bandwagon a little bit. An update? Don't mind if I do. I wonder if I can get this all down in the 20 minutes before I leave for school. Yes, school, I'm still doing that! Only 11 weeks to go, but it's already very hard and I'm already going to be attending some office hours to help me with my first assignments.

Commuting to school has been interesting. I'm finding that soothing music helps with my road rage on the two days per week that I drive and reading on the bus is absolutely fantastic. I haven't had any creepy weirdos talk to me yet, but there are 11 weeks left. One thing I really love about driving on the Malahat four days every week is how damn picturesque it is. Most days it has been misty and foggy and sooo pretty.
Ok, so it's not the best picture, but it was taken on my (new!) cell phone. Blog post to follow about that bittersweet event.

Tuesdays and Fridays are my bus commuting days, on which I get up at 6:30 and take the 7:00 commuter bus. I get into town at around 8:15 and I get so much work done because my classes don't start until 12:30! Last Friday I met my friend Meghan at Murchies and we had a delightful time knitting the morning away. In fact, I was having such a good time I almost forgot about my 12:30 class. Luckily Meghan reminded me at noon that I had a class and off I went on the closest bus to school!

School itself is hard, I won't deny that. In fact, I'll be the very first to admit it. I think the people in my classes think I'm a bit dim, but I just don't remember anything from my courses last year. It's really frightening, actually. I'm not really sure how someone who got relatively good grades (a B and two B-'s) in the feeder courses for the ones I'm taking could feel so lost with the homework she has been given, especially phonology and morphology. Syntax I am just fine with. The upside of this is, though, that this is the first year I really feel like I can ask for help and elaborate on what I don't know.

(Aside: someone just walked past the window where Friskies is sitting staring out. They saw her and said "Oh hi, you're pretty". I am so proud.)

GP has been really good so far about taking on more responsibilities at home. In the summer I did most of the household chores because I wasn't really doing anything, so I could. Now, though, we both have school and work, so GP has to pick up some slack and I must say he's doing marvelously. It's his responsibility to make dinner twice a week and do the laundry, while I'm responsible for cleaning and making dinner on the other nights. Whoever cooks doesn't do the dishes. I think it's pretty fair and it's helping me a lot with getting more work done. Last weekend and the weekend before he made me pancakes. I hope this is the beginning of a wonderful routine!

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm...Murchies. Aw, I miss the Island. Well, B.C. in general. And LOVE the intercation (heh); so cute!

    ReplyDelete

Comments? Gimme! Gimme!