Sunday, January 13, 2013

Take A Seat

Over Christmas, GP and I went to see my family on Orcas Island. My aunt and uncle there own an incredible 1950s house. When my brother and I were little kids (now we're big kids), we used to spend hours playing hide and see there, because it's so big. There are three floors, four bedrooms, (plus a beach house), four bathrooms, a butler's pantry, a "den" with a lovely great big fireplace, a formal living room with a lovely great big fireplace, a formal dining room which looks out onto a courtyard filled with roses, two different attic spaces, and a room for my aunt to do her crafts. These rooms are tastefully furnished with beautiful antiques, such as an old French wash basin, with a copper tub, and incredible bird's eye maple armoires. I take after her in that I love to spend time sewing, painting, and otherwise nesting. (Ok, well I don't love painting, but I do love transforming the house, so we'll just leave that there). When we were there, my aunt happened to be cleaning out some of her not often used furniture, and I just happened to be the lucky beneficiary of that exercise. I made off with:
  • a beveled mirror with a gold-ish frame
  • a darling little footstool with very old carved wood
  • a framed print of an old French milk ad, with cats on it (clearly this was the highlight of the trip)
  • a small side table, perfect for a spot in our bathroom
  • an occasional chair, with needlepoint seat
  • some fabrics and a table cloth
  • a bistro chair that had seen better days 
This last item, the little chair she gave us, I was scheming up ideas for the whole way home. I've now given it a bit of a face lift. Below was the process, from filling in the cracks due to weather and wear, to free-handing the wheat garland on the back. (Ignore the box of recycling next to my desk!) All that's left is for me to sew a cushion for the seat. That'll come soonish. Yes, I'm aware that the chair looks like it belongs at the UN. I love it!





1 comment:

  1. Hi! I'm Heather and I was wondering if you would be willing to answer a quick question about your blog! My email is Lifesabanquet1(at)gmail(dot)com :-)

    ReplyDelete

Comments? Gimme! Gimme!