Monday, June 14, 2010

Groovin' High

...Isn't that a jazz standard? My little brother would know. Anyway, I'm just listening to some Jamiroquai (Love Foolosophy, to be exact)) and it's making me wiggle my butt, so I thought I'd share: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cY0TJJ7PNl8 I absolutely LOVE live strings in music they're not normally used in (pop, punk, etc.). What an awesome '70s disco sound. Golda should definitely add some Jamiroquai to her running music if she hasn't already.

So, anyway, back to the tangent at hand. This music got me shakin' my ass and, because my ass hurts right now because of P90X, I got to thinking about being healthy. Today marks our one-month-mark of P90X! I'm anticipating a photoshoot tonight with my photographer/roomie/workout buddy/GP. Pictures to be posted soonish. I can't wait to compare my photos side-by-side, I really think the results will be encouraging.

I went on a walk around town today, to run errands and get groceries (note to self: you forgot toothpaste). It was so pretty today! The sun was (isn't really now, it's kind of windy and overcast) shining and I wore shorts and barely got cold. I really love living here because everything is so close to walk to.

Coming across the tracks from downtown to the garage I walked past a gorgeous little garden with the prettiest bright purple flowers and thought, "Eff, if flowers don't make you at least a little bit happy, your expectations are too high." That's one of the reasons I think trying to not kill the planet is important, so that human beings are happy. Totally selfish, but hey, isn't that the whole point? What gets me so mad is that people are so short-sighted with this whole global climate change thing. And I'll get even more mad soon if I keep going on about it.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is that nature is gorgeous as hell, so we should stop turning it into crap and be mindful of our actions. Not to mention that, if we want to survive, the perfect balances nature has (or had, in some cases) going are what produce the things we need. Do I REALLY need to drive my car to the store? Is it more of a priority for me to buy pesticide-free food or fancy clothes and endless pairs of shoes? What are the implications of me buying new stuff instead of used? Shit, I'll gladly furnish my house with antiques if that's better for the planet: "Hey GP, this chaise is $4000 but it's used, so we can have it, ok? Kthx." I'm not saying I smell of roses, because I don't always buy everything used or always buy organic food. And it's about more than just buying shit (it's also about writing letters, attending meetings, supporting politicians that advocate for the environment, etc.) Money talks, though, so that's... A thing.

Anyway, what it comes down to is that, as Tony Horton says, I'm doing my best and forgetting the rest. Other people can do what they want, but what I'm doing is working for me. And that's all I have to say about that.

Oh, also, here's what we ate last night:





A very summery dish: chicken roasted with lemon, garlic and white wine and some braised greens (courtesy of Momma's green thumb). It was even more tasty than it looks, if you can imagine. The meat just fell right off the bone. Also, Thrifty's sells local drug-free chicken! I've been buying it exclusively.

1 comment:

  1. Tooootally agree. I also think that if society isn't going to embrace protecting the environment the way we should, that we should at least put more energy into space travel because we are fucking this place over hardcore and will need a new planet to park our fat asses and SUVs on if we keep on going the way we are.

    Also, yes, Groovin' High is a jazz standard. One written by Dizzy Gillespie. It's Bebop, in fact it was like... THE song that brought bebop into existence. Charlie Parker plays in it. He happens to be one of my favourite sax players. Thought you'd like to know...

    ReplyDelete

Comments? Gimme! Gimme!