Monday, January 31, 2011

Jobs, jobs, jobs.

I applied for a job today online. For the application I didn't have to submit a cover letter. Instead, they made me fill out a questionnaire. This is terrific because I hate writing cover letters and I feel a lot better filling out blanks because it feels like I'm filling out an online quiz of yore, à la Quizilla.

Anyway, I filled out the requisite contact info, previous work info about sales quotas, and travel experience (it's for Flight Centre) and then came upon this gem of a question: "What makes you 'unbeatable' for this role?". Oh goodness. Let me count the ways! Among other things, this is what I wrote:

"My academic background and attention to detail also give me an edge on other candidates. For example, I am sure no other candidate you have seen has told you about the embarrassing grammar error here on your website. Perhaps it will negatively affect my chances at getting an interview, but I feel compelled to notify you that the "it's" in 'Boost your career with a global organisation and one of the fastest growing businesses of it's kind in the world!' actually does not require an apostrophe."

Ain't I a stinker? I think this will definitely catch their eye and they will hire me lickety split. It's almost a liability NOT to hire me, actually, because who knows what other errors they're making with their headlong and irresponsible editing. I was this close to suggesting that they offer me a job as an editor of their media publications instead of a travel consultant.

4 comments:

  1. Ahaha YES! This is the kind of thing I always want to do but somehow never have the balls to actually do. Way to have balls, Kim. If they hire you, hoorah! If not, who wants to work for a bunch of illiterate idiots anyway? Right? Right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Kimmy...
    Yes, this is the kind of thing my dear bean (aka big sister) does....she just can't help herself!!
    You, are hilarious, and extremely intelligent :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments? Gimme! Gimme!