Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Livin' Small

From time to time I fantasize to GP about living in a small place off the grid somewhere close enough to a city not to get bored but big enough to have a large garden and an outdoor bath tub. The other day I came upon a link from my childhood friend Alex and yet again my curiosity and enthusiasm is all stirred up! The link was this one: http://tinyhouseblog.com/yourstory/james-twelve-cubed-tiny-house/ and it really got me excited.

I remember when I was a kid and I'd build cushion forts with my brother (and Alex, and his sister Zena, for that matter), or we'd all play in our playhouse which we had coerced my dad into transforming from a plain one-level abode to a two-level house which we felt would have a lot more resale value in the elementary student market. We'd spend hours in there making concoctions of various muds and grasses and generally making believe. Sometimes in the summer our mum even let us sleep out there. I think tiny homes, or even just small ones, appeal to a very human need to nest and create a cozy place of one's own. They also appeal to my (not sure if other people share this need) need to have things "just so". I like knowing that I was the one who decided where things have gone; I like the agency of decision making-- it's a huge ego stroke, not that I need it.

Many hours I have spent today looking at the tinyhouse blog and trying to plan out a future small house. I don't want to live in 96 square feet, I think around 800 is more my style. Here's the house I've been lusting after:
I think the beauty of having a small house is that you free up so much room for other things. Want a fantastic veggie garden? You got it. Want a flower garden for cuttings? You can have that too. Want chickens? Have 'em. I want a small house like this one for my own. Case closed.

1 comment:

Comments? Gimme! Gimme!